The Tribal Family & Youth Services’ Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) program provides case management services to children and parents or guardians in communities served. Its purpose is to protect and maintain the integrity and rights of Alaska Native children, their families or custodians, and tribes in involuntary custody proceedings.
Case management services include:
- Intervening and attending court hearings, case staffings and meetings;
- Conducting supervised visitations and home visits;
- Scheduling family meetings when necessary;
- Conducting family searches and identifying potential relative placements;
- Case specific Native foster care recruitment, and assisting in providing direct services to families such as counseling and children’s program component; and
- Making referrals to other support services that will further enhance the quality of lives of our children and families.
The child welfare team also carries a significant caseload of ICWA cases that originate in other states involving tribal citizens. Our goal is to identify the appropriate Southeast Alaska tribal jurisdiction for the children while providing technical support.
The ICWA program’s mission is to ensure that the Tribe’s interest in children is protected if removal of an Indian child from their home by the State of Alaska Office of Children’s Services becomes necessary. Minimum federal standards established by ICWA require state courts comply when an Alaska Native/American Indian child is taken into state custody.
ICWA is federal law that applies to Indian children under the age of 18. ICWA applies to involuntary custody proceedings and does not apply to custody disputes between parents.
ICWA Field Office Contacts:
Haines: 907.766.2323 ext. 111 or 9
Northwest Coast Tribes & Culture Reading Resources
The Reading Resources for Southeast Alaska Tribal Children, Youth and Families booklet provides a listing of books that relate to Northwest Coast tribes and cultures. It is our hope that you will find these books in your local library or bookstore and share them with your children and youth.
For more information, please contact Tribal Family & Youth Services | ICWA:
Toll Free: 1.800.344.1432 ext. 7169 | Local: 907.463.7169 | Fax: 907.885.0032