Client Appeal Process
A client who is denied or received a reduction of services or benefits has the right to file a written appeal by following these procedures. Determination of client services or benefits are made based on a review of program policies, procedures and the required official documentation.
Step 1 – Client
- A client has ten (10) working days from the date of receipt of a decision to submit a written appeal to the department Director/Manager or his/her designee.
- A client outside of Juneau must have their written appeal postmarked within ten (10) working days from the date of receipt of a decision.
- A client may request another person to be present at meetings or interviews. The client must notify the department Director/Manager or designee who this person is, contact information, and their role. Guidelines will need to be established to ensure confidentiality if the person is not a Central Council employee.
Step 2 – Director/Manager
- The department Director/Manager or his/her designee, in consultation with subordinate staff, will make every effort to review documentation and make a decision in the shortest amount of time possible and not to exceed five (5) working days from the date of receipt of the appeal.
- A client not satisfied with the department’s decision may submit a written request within five (5) working days from the date of receipt of the decision to the Program Compliance Manager or his/her designee to have their appeal reviewed by the Appeals Committee.
Step 3 – Appeals Committee
- A client must complete Step 1 before the Program Compliance Manager or his/her designee will consider referral to the Appeals Committee.
- The Appeals Committee will review the appeal within five (5) working days of receipt.
- The client will be notified of the Appeals Committee’s decision within two (2) working days after the date of its meeting.
- All decisions of the Appeals Committee are final.
For more information, please contact Program Compliance:
Toll Free: 1.800.344.1432 ext. 7143 | Local: 907.463.7143 | Fax: 907.885.0052